Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Mommy, do I have Down syndrome?"

Aidan and I were out running errands one day, just the two of us. I love having little solo outings with each of the kids. On this particular one, Aidan suddenly asked me, "Mommy, does Ella have Down syndrome?"

"No, she doesn't."

"Mommy, do I have Down syndrome?"

"No, Aidan, you don't. Just Sean has Down syndrome."

"Well, if i don't have Down syndrome then what do I have that makes me special?"

Oh, Aidan, my sweet son! There are so many things about you that make you special! On this day, seven years ago, you made me a mother for the first time. I was so excited to become a mother, but so nervous as well. I waited for you and wanted you in my life so much. Every day that you grew in my tummy was a blessing and I prayed for you. Your daddy and I couldn't wait to meet you. We had no idea how much you would change our lives and give it new meaning.

When you were born, we both cried tears of joy when we saw you! So beautiful and precious. We felt like you were a missing piece of our hearts that we found. You brought us together as a family.

As we watched you grow in your baby months, we got to know you and your showed us so much of your personality as you grew. Your sense of humor was obvious from an early age, the way you laugh at our silliness. Your determination was strong, the way you worked so hard to learn new things. Your strong love and attachment to us was amazing and so powerful.

In your toddler years, you continued to make us laugh, make us proud, and fill us with love as you explored your world. We loved sharing new experiences with you and seeing things through your eyes. We got to see you form a bond with your baby brother.


As a preschooler, you amazed us with the new things you learned and details you paid attention to. You made your own friends, showed us how independent you were becoming. You have so much joy in sharing things with your brother.


Now you are a big kid, going to school all day, creating a life away from us. We worry about you and pray for your happiness. We are so proud of all that you can do and the sweet person that you are. You are such a great big brother to Sean and Ella. You have so much patience for them and include them in what you like to do. We love watching you teach them new things: songs you learn at school, games you like to play. We are so excited to see you reading and love to listen to you as you read to your siblings.

Aidan, you are so special to us because you are YOU!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, Aidan!

Cole said...

So very Beautiful!

Heidi said...

What a beautiful post!! I know there are times when Caleb feels like Joel gets all of the attention and that he is so special. We reinforce that Caleb is special too and we really try to praise him for all of the things that he does well too.

Mary said...

Wow, what a very beautiful post!

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

So sweet!

Beverly said...

so sweet and beautiful!

JennyH said...

great post! "what makes me special?" love it. The little literal minds at work. ("special" needs)

Happy birthday little big guy!

jane said...

Happy Birthday Aidan! Beautiful post mama!